There are approximately 2.7 million people working with children and young people in England, making up approximately 10% of the labour market. However, approximately 11% of paid staff working in childcare have no qualifications.
High quality pre-schooling is related to better intellectual and social/behavioural development for children. It is therefore vital that the workforce achieve appropriate qualifications in order to support children and young people to gain the best start in life.
The qualifications contain units that are shared across related workforces - children's services, schools support services, health, care and playwork. This supports the development of transferable knowledge and skills and helps to develop a more flexible workforce.
This 12 month apprenticeship will give you the right start to a career in childcare.
About the Course
You will study:
- Contribute to the support of child and young person development
- Managing paediatric illness and injury
- Contribute to children and young people's health and safety
- Contribute to the support of the positive environments for children and young people
- Understand partnership working in services for children and young people
- Paediatric emergency first aid
- Introduction to communication in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Introduction to personal development in heath, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Introduction to equality and inclusion in health, social care or children's and young people's settings
- Children and young people's development
- Safeguarding the welfare of children and young people
- Maintain and support relationships with children and young people
- Support children and young people's positive behaviour
- Development of children and young people
- Safeguarding and wellbeing
- Health and safety
- Positive relationships
- Speech, language and communication
- Children and young people at risk
- Disabilities and special educational needs
- Physical and nutritional needs
You will also complete courses in:
- Personal learning and thinking skills
- Mathematics functional skills level 1
- English functional skills level 1
- Employment rights and responsibilities.
For the Intermediate Apprenticeship programme, you should be 16 years or older, willing to work at least 30 hours per week in a school or nursery and have successfully completed your probationary period.
You must also have completed a Level 1 Certificate or equivalent in childcare or health and care or be able to demonstrate a good underpinning knowledge of the sector, and have grade D or above in English and at least one other subject.
You will need to undertake a criminal record check through the Disclosure and Barring Service to determine that you have no criminal offences that could put children or staff at risk.
On successful completion of the Intermediate Apprenticeship, you may decide to go on to the Advanced Apprenticeship in Childcare which will also enable you to progress in your career, possibly taking on a higher level of work in an unsupervised role such as nursery supervisor, childminder or foster carer.
This pathway also provides you with a good opportunity to move across the wider children's workforce, should you wish to do so.
To successfully complete your Apprenticeship you will need to achieve the following elements:
CACHE Level 2 Certificate in the Children and Young Peopleâ€
How to Apply
Please view our current live vacancies and apply today. Alternatively to register your interest in this apprenticeship click on the button below and complete the form.