This two-year higher education course is practical and vocationally focused, and aims to prepare you to move to a degree course or into employment. Working as part of a production team, you will develop productions from concept to screen using a multi-camera TV studio and editing suites. The course is underpinned by theoretical elements and covers both factual and fictional programming.
About the Course
You will develop the skills required to work within various media industries via hands-on experience and tutoring. As part of a production team, you will be encouraged to develop various productions from concept to screen. You will use the latest digital equipment in our Media and Music Centre to produce programmes within a professional context, including a multi-camera TV studio and editing suites equipped with Final Cut, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.
The HND in Creative Media Production aims to:
- Develop your general ability in theoretical and practical media studies through effectively using and combining knowledge and skills gained in different parts of the programme
- Provide specialist studies in media production, across a range of disciplines
- Provide a taught programme of study to support you in learning new skills and in developing your individual practice, within the culturally diverse environment of west London
- Provide enhanced tutorial support to help you develop your educational and vocational abilities, and your personal qualities and attitudes
- Develop the ethos and creative process of a media production company
- Provide the foundation for a range of administrative, technical and creative careers in media production, where you could forge a path to employment.
You will study:
- Single camera techniques
- Music video production
- Television documentary production
- Radio production
- Promotional video production
- Film and video editing
- Television news techniques.
The course is underpinned by theoretical elements and covers both factual and fictional programming.
You will work towards the Higher National Certificate (HNC) in your first year, which you must complete and pass before proceeding to the Level 5 Higher National Diploma in the second year.
Course Fee: £5000
It is advised that students purchase or bring a portable hard drive/USB stick so that they are able to save work and access it in different rooms/macs/pc's.
The standard minimum entry qualification is a grade D at A Level and 80 UCAS points, preferably supported by a pass in GCSE English.
We encourage mature students to enter with a pass in an appropriate Access Certificate. We consider other background and experience and may accept students without formal qualifications.
All students are interviewed and asked to provide evidence of both technical and theoretical work before an offer is made. The International Office will organise an appropriate interview for overseas students: telephone or portfolio or as required.
Final year of a BA (Hons) degree or employment in the creative media industries. Opportunities include setting up your own small filming production company or freelance work as a camera person or film editor.
All assessment is through course work assignments.
Regulation of standards:
- Assessment conforms to Edexcel regulations
- Internal verification of assignment briefs and assessment standards
- External moderation of samples of work by external examiner