This one-year higher education vocational qualification has units that are related to applied biology. You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic situations, activities and demands in the biological sciences.
About the Course
You will learn by completing projects and assignments based on realistic situations, activities and demands. You will focus on a particular area and develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge.
The course is made up of mandatory units and optional specialist units.
You will study:
- Cell biology
- Biochemistry of macromolecules and metabolic pathways
- Physiology of cellular systems in animals
- Laboratory techniques for applied biology
- Analysis of scientific data and information
- Neurophysiology and homeostatic control of the human body
- Molecular biology and genetics
- The immune response system
- Infectious diseases
- Medical microbiology
- Human health and nutrition
- Food molecules, additives and their roles
- Ecological principles and their application
- Chemistry for the applied biologist
- Biodiversity, conservation and threats
- Plant physiology and environmental adaptation
- Work-based experience
- Personal and professional development
- Employability skills.
Course Fee: £5000
£100 (approx) for trips and visits
You should have at least one of the following meeting a minimum of 120 UCAS points:
- BTEC Level 3 Diploma or Extended Diploma in Applied Science or a related discipline
- Access to Science
- At least two A Levels in science subjects.
Applicants are also expected to have a good level of literacy and numeracy; a relevant Level 2 qualification (eg GCSE English and maths at grade C / grade 5 or above) is desirable.
Progress to the Higher National Diploma in Applied Biology or the second year of a degree course at university, such as BSc in Biomedical Science or Biology or find employment in biological sciences.
The course is internally assessed by means of assignments which are graded, and you will also receive an overall grade for the qualification.