This practical, work related course will prepare you for a career working in the applied science industry or an organisation that uses science to develop underpinning knowledge and scientific skills. It is equivalent to 4 GCSEs at grades A*-E and provides a good basis to go on to more advanced qualifications.
You will study scientific principles and science and the world of work, plus four specialist units from the following: chemistry and applications, physical science applications, biological systems, working in science, anatomy and physiology, environmental science, plants and food, forensic science and science in medicine.
About the Course
You will learn by completing projects and assignments that are based on realistic workplace situations, activities and demands. You will focus on a particular area and develop a range of specialist skills and knowledge.
The course is made up of 3 core units and optional units that give a combined total of 60 credits.
You will study the mandatory (core) units:
- Chemistry and our earth
- Energy and our universe
- Biology and our environment.
Plus 9 optional units from the following list:
- Applications of chemical substances
- Applications of physical science
- Health applications of life sciences
- Practical scientific project
- Science and the world of work
- Working in a science-based organisation
- The living body
- Monitoring the environment
- Growing plants for food
- Investigating a crime scene
- Science in medicine
- Using mathematical tools in science
- Designing and making useful devices in science
- Chemical analysis and detection
- Exploring our universe
- Electronics in action
- Biotechnological procedures and applciations
- Science in the world
- Investigating human behaviour.
If you gain a Merit or Distinction, you can progress to the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science.
The course is assessed by means of assignments which are graded, and you will also receive an overall grade for the qualification. One unit will be externally assessed - the awarding body will set and mark an integrated vocational assignment.