We have a dedicated team of Advisers, who can give the advice, information and support you need to achieve your career goals. Careers advice and guidance is impartial and provided by professionally qualified Careers Advisers who can support with your career planning from before you start your course until you leave the college. Our service is accredited to the Matrix Standard Award for information, advice and guidance.
Which course is right for you?
If you've looked through our courses and you're not sure which one is right for you, or you're not sure if you've got the right entry requirements, we can help. You can either:
- Call us on 020 8326 2020 for advice or to arrange a guidance interview.
- Drop in to see us at the college. Contact the Information Centre to arrange an appointment.
We will always try to make sure a course is suitable for you before you enrol. However, if you feel after a few weeks that you are on the wrong course, don't worry. Come and see us and we'll try to find an alternative course for you - either at West Thames College or another college or training provider.
Helping you gain work experience
We help all our students to complete work experience placements whilst on the course. Work experience helps you practice the skills you learn in the classroom and looks great on your CV when applying for university or a job. We work with the employability advisors to bring employers to the college so you learn first-hand about working life and career opportunities. We can also help you find part-time work, which will help with your finances too.
Helping you apply to university
If you want to apply for a higher level course after you have finished your current studies - either at West Thames College or another college - come and see us for advice. We can guide and support you if you want to go to university. Once you have an offer we will help prepare you for the selection test and interview.
We also hold an annual Higher Education Fair and information events for you and your parents or guardians about going to university.
Helping you apply for a job or apprenticeship
If you are looking for a job or apprenticeship after you finish your course, or a part-time job whilst you are studying, we can help you develop your CV and prepare for interviews.
Contact the Information Centre to arrange an appointment or see us when you come to an open day.
All students have the right to access Careers Education at the College in-line with Gatsby Benchmarks and the government Careers Strategy. Click to view our Careers Programme and Provider Access Policy.
- National Careers Service - provides help with your career, learning and training choices
- iCould - features over 1000 videos of real people talking about their careers – explaining their job role, career path and how different factors have shaped their choices
- UCAS - find higher education courses at universities and colleges
- Apprenticeship Website – Apprenticeship information, advice and vacancies
- Prospects - graduate careers website with 1,000’s of jobs and courses
- Target Careers - information and advice on the range of career possibilities available and the best routes into them
- T-Levels - Find out more about a new qualification choice after GCSEs